Winter weather and airlines

Yes, directly after I wrote that post last night, I found that my flight had been canceled. Interestingly, I did not find this out from the airline. Instead, Star heard on CBC that there was a weather warning out for effectively everything east of Manitoba, and checked her flight. Then she msned me. Then I looked online, and picked up the phone. Five hours later, and many alternate itineraries, I have a confirmed alternate route.

You see, when I first called, they were just going to put me on an alternate flight to Toronto, and then I would catch my original flight from there. Then it transpired that nothing out of Ottawa was moving before 3 PM. As my flight was at noon, there seemed to be an issue with the former plan.

Next plan involved calling Via Rail. I told them what flight I had been on, and they said,” yes, there isn’t a problem with that, we can replace that flight.” Great! That wasn’t so hard, says I to myself. Then the man continues, “… you’ll have a connection through Montreal, and then change to Acadian Bus Lines in Truro. That’ll take you as far as North Sydney.” Hmmmm. North Sydney. On Monday night. With no money for the Ferry. With a weather warning in effect. With no one in town I know. Let’s try this again, shall we?

“Should I book it?” Asks the man. At this point, I have spent close to 2 hours on the phone, but my sanity is still partially intact. I ask if the ferry cost is covered. The man answers that he doesn’t know. [mental image of spending Christmas in the Marine Atlantic Ferry Terminal] I should say, that throughout this whole evening there was a strong sense of “you’d better fend for your self, cause we sure ain’t finding an alternate route for you.” Anyways, *coughs* I next performed brilliant mental acrobatics, and thought of Toronto. They’re always flying out of there, right? If I get there, I can catch the NEXT flight home. At this point, my memory is a little foggy. I don’t remember if I called Air Canada to found out if they were still flying out of Toronto, or if I booked the train then, but I booked a train ride, from Ottawa to Toronto, on Sunday. Now for the flight from Toronto.

I call Air Canada. Just as an aside, doesn’t it strike joy in your heart to be greeted with “due to exceptionally high call volume, all our agents are busy right now.” Particularly when you know that the three main airports for eastern Canada (Toronto, Montreal, Halifax) are effectively shut down right now, during the Christmas rush. After 45 minutes on hold, I finally talk to a person. I have been put in a borderline hypnotic state by the phone at this time, but I mange to give my spiel. “hi, my name is ___, I was on flight 8833 from Ottawa to St. John’s, I called before and they told me to call Via Rail. I reserved a seat from Ottawa to Toronto, but my flight would leave at noon and the train gets into Toronto at 12:45. Can I take the next flight?”*inhale* The man, probably very used to dealing with hysterical travelers at this point, says he’ll see what he can do.

Every flight out of Toronto going east is booked for Sunday. Let’s look at Monday: full. I say something inane about being willing to connect through the states. This guys says calmly that they wouldn’t do that. Side note: when I called before, the news that I was traveling from Ottawa to St. John’s was greeted with an “Oh Gawd!” *bottom drops out of the stomach*. However, this man seems to find it not inconceivable that I could actually get home within the next three days. He says that there is one seat. I go, “oh?!” The last seat, on the last flight before Tuesday evening. It’s a direct flight for me, starting in Calgary, stopping to refuel in Ottawa. The seat is in Executive class. The guys tells me that I’ll be probably bumped down to Economy, but I hold a shining hope in my mind.

I’ll be getting into St. John’s 12 hours later than expected, I guess I should call home and tell my family. I call, and it transpires that they have to be in another town for a Chemo treatment at that time. Hmmm, perhaps booking myself into a town 1000 km round trip away from home wasn’t the best idea. Better call Air Canada again.

50 minutes later…. I have a booked connection from St. John’s to an airport only an hour away from home. I call home with the news. However, they seem to think I won’t like the 36 hour layover in St. John’s. Right, oh. Maybe I could sightsee? No.

Time to call Air Canada Again. I’m only on hold for about half an hour this time, I guess things are being ironed out. I cancel that connection. I try to add it on to the other end of my round trip flight, but they’re having none of that. Finally, I have a route fixed. I’ll fly to St. john’s and be met by a friend, who will put me on the bus in the early morning.

Over all, this hasn’t been too stressful, though I certainly wasn’t operating at 100% by the end of the evening. Hands shaking, sore ears, crick in the neck, inability to find the correct words at any given time; normal, really. : ) This has given me a healthy mistrust of airlines, I think. Last time I flew solo, a delayed flight caused me to miss my connection, and they lost my luggage. So now I entirely expect things to not go according to plan. Bad thought: I’ve had a missed flight, and a weather cancellation, what’s left for my return flight? A terrorist scare?

Oh well, I’ll face then when or if it happens. Now I’m going home! Ya!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s