I have big news. Big news that’s been under a publication ban, none the less, so I’ve had a while to think up clever intros for this blog post. And all the clever intros that I’ve managed aren’t really that clever, so I’ll just go for it.
Wait, what, you say? What are you talking about?
Well, remember that blog post I wrote a little while ago about this workshop I applied to that was super competitive? The one that was full-time for 6 weeks in California, tought by professional authors, and described as “boot camp for spec fiction writers?” And how I was wondering how I’d deal with the rejection of not getting in, because of course I wasn’t going to get in? They only take 18 people, for goodness sake?
I’m one of the 18.
|This is a screen cap from this link.
OMG MY NAME IS IN PRINT.
(Also, I’m trying to resist the urge to stalk those people. There is PLENTY of time for that later.)
So yeah. I’m going to California, June 26- Aug 6th. No big deal.
Who am I kidding, I have to scrape myself off the ceiling every few hours, I’m so delighted. Every part of this news delights me. Let me count the ways.
- I get to travel there.
- On google earth, the distance is just under seven thousand miles. I love technology.
- On my travel back home, I get to see my friends all across north america.
- I have something like a month to fill there, and I can visit YOU, probably. Maybe. I’ll look into it?
- I get to write full-time.
- Your JOB is writing and reading and talking about writing and reading. HAVE I FOUND HEAVEN EARLY?
- My writing was considered good enough by a panel of people whose job is to judge writing.
- Given that it’s not uncommon for people who have published to attend Clarion, I’m taking that as a sign that I might get published. Like, on a viable timeline, not just “Someday.”
- I get to spend 6 weeks devoting myself to the process of getting better at writing.
- *dies of euphoria*
- Because Room and Board is included in the price of the workshop, I don’t have to eat my own cooking.
- I can’t really stress too much how important that is, right now.
- I get to meet people who have the same career goal in mind as me.
- This doesn’t happen a lot. So I tend to glom onto those people, when I meet them. If anyone of the students is stalking ME and you found my blog, consider yourself warned. I’m sorry in advance for any weird behaviour.
- Even the fact that it was under a publication ban delights me.
- I hear all the time on twitter from authors who have exciting news that they can’t share yet. And then I had my own news. *beams*
- Though I did follow the twitter lead and tell my family and alpha readers and give notice at work? Which is okay, right?
- I hope…